I've wanted to do a post like this for a while since beginning my own podcast, Reel Insight. Not to suggest that you should listen to anything other than Reel Insight, but if I have time to record one and listen to others, so do you. So AFTER you listen to Reel Insight, consider checking these out. Also, please feel free to leave a comment about which amazing movie-related podcasts I'm missing.
1. The LAMBcast - of course I listen to this one, I'm a proud member of the LAMB. It's a rotating group of movie buffs, led particularly well by the LAMB major domo, Fletch from Blog Cabins. They discuss movies in depth - sometimes random movies, sometimes popular new releases, and on occasion discuss a particular topic in it's entirety like the Pixar discussion (Episodes 29 and 30) or the films of Kevin Smith.
2. The Dark of the Matinee - The Mad Hatter talks movies with a great format and succinct discussions. With pertinent music choices as intro/exit music, the whole thing comes together with clarity, humor, and of course lots and lots of love of movies.
3. NPR Pop culture - This one comes from itunes. I like it better than their more formal Culturetopia podcast. It's basically an accumulation of all the stories NPR has produced that week dealing with pop culture, so movies and TV most often make the cut with bits on music, art, celebrities, etc. Since I don't commute during the best hours of NPR, this gives me all the fun stuff I miss without actual news in the middle.
4. Smodcast - This one is movie related because it's hosts, Kevin Smith and Scott Mosier, make movies. However, they discuss whatever comes to their minds. This has been going on for a few years now, and they've even produced a book that is a printed version of exactly what they've said on Smodcast. It's always funny, sometimes reveals a lot about the world of movies and definitely goes too far when it comes to sex or bodily functions and often both. It's insanely addictive. My only complaint is that they often run well over an hour.
5. This is a list within the bigger list of podcasts I've only listened to once or twice but I'm sure are worthy of more listening: The Lair of the Unwanted, Frankly My Dear, and Some cast it hot. Also, catch old episodes of the soon to end The Demented Encyclopedia (particularly the Twilight: Eclipse discussion)
All the podcasts I've listed, including REEL Insight are available on itunes.
2 stars 2.5 stars 3 stars 3.5 stars 4 stars 4.5 stars 5 lambs 5 stars action movie actors actresses Alphabet Meme Animated movies awards bad movies battlestar galactica best movies blockbusters blog cabins bloggers British TV characters chick flicks Christmas classics comedy Comments documentary dramas DVD emmys epic family films fashion Father's Day Favela Rising females final season foreign films Friday Night Lights friends Golden Globes good movies great cast guest post holidays Independent film james mcavoy kevin smith kids kids movies LAMB Lists marketing mistakes Monday musicals movie from book Movie meme movies music from movies musicals New Releases old movies Oscar Nominations Oscar winners period pieces podcasts predictions Random Reel Insight Robert Downey Jr. romance sci-fi songs sports straight to DVD summer candy The West Wing Top-Grossing Tuesdays TV meme TV Shows why i love