Saturday, June 12, 2010

TV Meme: Day 12

Day 12 - An episode you’ve watched more than 5 times

 Today's my birthday, so I'm picking my favorite episode of all time.  The West Wing is still my favorite show, but Friends is a very, very close second.  When I  moved to Brooklyn with my college friend, Yumi, we couldn't afford beds for nearly a month, let alone cable (camping in an apartment isn't as bad as you think).  However, we did have some Friends episodes on DVD, so after a long day we'd spend a few minutes arguing about which episode we wanted to watch.  This one we could always agree on. Thus, I have seen "The One with the Embryos" way more than 5 times.  There are two main storylines - one was Yumi's favorite, one was mine: Phoebe has agreed to carry her brother's embryos and is going to get emplanted ("think thick"), and Joey and Chandler think they know Monica and Rachel better than the girls know them.  To prove it, Ross creates a question game to see who knows more trivia about the other, including a lightening round.  If the girls win, the guys have to get rid of their birds ("he's becoming a rooster") and if the guys win, they get the girls apartment.  The whole thing hinges on the recurring joke that no one knows what Chandler does for a job ("he's a transponster" "That's not even a word!!!") and the guys win the apartment.  Of course, eventually they switch back, but not for quite a few episodes.  Meanwhile, Phoebe goes to get emplanted with the embryos and is left in the room with them for a few minutes, and it's one of the sweetest,  most sincere scenes in Friends.  Lisa Kudrow had just won (or was about to win) her Emmy for the show, and I think this season was definitely her best.  

5 comments:

Andrew K. said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

Ugh, Lisa Kudrow is so very awesome. I love her pregnant (which reminds me of the finale for this season when Ross said the wrong name at the wedding and she called Emily's parents...I'm rambling, but Phoebe=awesome.)

David Bishop said...

Happy Birthday

Actually, it’s Miss Chanandler Bong.

I'm picking a Friends episode as well for my 'watched more than five times' post, but not this one.

Buttercup said...

Can't pick a single episode of "Seinfeld." Too hard to choose. But can wish you a very happy birthday.

Rachel said...

Again, Happy Birthday!

This is a great episode! Monica cracks me up with how worked up she gets during the game. She's so loud for such a small person. ("Feel like taking a test? There's only one question!")

Unknown said...

YAAAAY! I just quoted, "I know! Why don't you get drunk! That worked for a bunch of girls in my high school," the other day. We are totes on the same wavelength :) Can't wait for you to come visit, we'll have to replay some old classics.