Wednesday, June 9, 2010

TV Meme: Day 9

Day 09 - Best scene ever

 I went to YouTube, purveyor of all free video, to compare some of the best scenes that came to mind when thinking about today's topic.  My favorite scene of all time can be found here but they disabled the embedding so I couldn't actually put it in the blog.  It's from The Big Bang Theory, a show I adore.  When people ask what it's about, I usually try to explain it's hilarity by describing this scene.  I've proven several times that I cannot do it justice, so I will not try.  The second scene that came to mind is of course from The West Wing, and helps embody what I love about the writing.  They tend to take a particular idea (right or left) and move it to it's logical extreme to see what happens.  They do the same with stories, anecdotes, myths, etc.  This scene was the late Karl Malden's last TV performance.  President Bartlett, a devout Catholic, has had to decide whether to commute the death sentence of a prisoner at his last moments on death row.  He discusses it with advisers, strangers, and finally his former parish priest.  He doesn't want to do it only because it goes against his own beliefs.  He believes in the higher power of his office to follow the law and constitution, so he's wavering about it.  Malden plays his former priest and tells him a story.  What this scene cuts off is the connection Malden makes between the story and Bartlett's situation.  It's always been one of my favorite episodes, particularly for this scene. 

2 comments:

David Bishop said...

I think this story was also in The Pursuit of Happyness.

Jess said...

David, you're totally right. Probably the only thing about Happyness I liked.

My next favorite scene is from the last episode of Bones Season 3. It's the scene where Bones and Zach discuss why Zach joined forces with a serial killer. Their logical reasonings are kind of awesome.