Tuesday, June 22, 2010

TV Meme: Day 22

Day 22 - Favorite series finale

I know I've been talking a lot about Friends, The West Wing, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, none of which are still on the air.  But none of them had particularly good series finales.  They wrapped up with a decent story, ending the story pretty well.  The first one that was terrible that has wrapped up was Sex and the City.  I liked the Paris storyline that ended with Carrie and Mr. Big getting together finally.  The other women ended their stories pretty well too.  However, I did really really like the Lost finale.  Perhaps it's just because it's the most recent show that I liked.  I liked how they wrapped it up, I liked the actual show a lot.  It stood out from the rest of the season (which wasn't terrific) and elevated what might have been an impossible task to wrap up a crazy sci-fi/fantasy story.  It worked well.  Yes, there were some contrivances that didn't really make sense (like Sayid and that chick from the first season getting back together) but otherwise they made sense if you'd watched the whole series. 

2 comments:

Ryan McNeil said...

So there's me, listening to episode two of "Reel Insight" thinking...why do I not recognize Jess and her blog.

Then it dawns on me - it's because I was committing the HORRIBLE crime of not following your work!!

Apologies, and I even added your blog to my blogroll to try and attone.

As for the subject at hand of series finales, LOST is a gem. Especially for the way they zero in on the philosophy and humanity of the story in those final hours. For my money, I've always loved The Sopranos and its ambiguity that angered so many.

Keep up the great work!

Jess said...

Thanks Hatter! I'm glad you found the podcast and the blog. I've been enjoying yours for a while now. Maybe I haven't commented as much as I should.