Thursday, June 10, 2010

TV Meme: Day 10

Day 10 - A show you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving

 There are always shows that you watch and don't think they're for you.  Arrested Development was one of those for me.  I didn't think I'd like it, but was given the first season, and really enjoyed it.  However, it wasn't on TV long enough for me to think I wouldn't like it, rather I didn't know much about it.  A show that I avoided for a long time that I did end up watching and really like is Scrubs.  I like Zach Braff, but wasn't sure I'd like his comedy from the many commercials I saw over the years.  A year or two ago, I was again given the first season (my friends and family know what I'll like) and was hooked.  I love Scrubs.  Sadly at the this point I've seen almost every episode so many times and there's not a heck of a lot that makes every episode distinct, so I've finally backed off from watching the many reruns on TV.  Based at the fictional Sacred Heart hospital, JD (Braff) and his non-gay life partner Turk (Donald Faison) met in college and have been best friends ever since.  Turk meets and eventually marries Carla (Judy Reyes) when they start their residencies along with Elliot Reed (Sarah Chalke).  JD and Elliot are the Ross and Rachel of Sacred Heart.  They date, they're friends, roommates, dating again, etc.  The real funny people on the show are Dr. Percy Cox (John C. McGinley) and his sometime wife Jordan (Christa Miller).  They're hysterical in being mostly one-dimensional, but they gain the most dimension as the series goes on, falling back in love with each other, having kids, etc.  I love Christa Miller on Cougar Town even more, though she's almost the same character as on Scrubs so it's leaving a good feeling for Scrubs because I get to see my favorite character again.  They also had some absolutely terrific guest stars for a few episodes.  In the only role in which she doesn't annoy me, Heather Graham is terrific.  Michael J. Fox is an annoying doctor.  Elizabeth Banks plays JDs girlfriend who ultimately has his kid.  It's a really funny show with all the day dreams JD has, the costumes, musical numbers (I love the musical episode), and overall joking demeanor even when it often becomes serious with medical issues.  There are a tons of reruns every day, so check it out. 

2 comments:

Buttercup said...

I didn't watch "West Wing" for the first few seasons. It just didn't get me interested and then I couldn't stop watching it and was so disappointed when it went off the air.

Rachel said...

Scrubs is the show that taught me to give a new series a chance past the pilot. I watched the first episode when it premiered and didn't care for it, so didn't bother watching it again at the time. Then it use to come on after The Office and we'd just watch the first 10 minutes or so when we were too lazy to get off the sofa, but we always laughed really hard at what we saw. I eventually just started renting the dvds and we loved it. So all those years wasted on not watching a show I would've loved b/c I wasn't blown away by the pilot. Mistake!