Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Movies Meme Day 04 - A movie that makes you laugh every time

When I read the title for today's post, I immediately heard myself saying almost the same thing about the following movie.  There's a scene in Little Miss Sunshine that makes me laugh every time I see the movie and every time they repeat the scene - which is about 5 times.  It's pushing the VW bus that cracks me up.  Every time they have to push it, I crack up.  I've started to realize this is probably because it makes me aware of how silly I looked doing the same thing for 2 weeks when I lived in Kenya. 
That car was also stick shift, so I would park on whatever hill I could find, and push start it every day.  Starting work meant rounding up 2-3 people to give me a push.  I think watching Little Miss Sunshine reminds me of how ridiculous I must have looked.  Also, the scenes when they push the bus have almost nothing to do with the rest of the story and add a moment of levity to the screwball road trip they're on.  When the horn on the bus goes out and beeps sporadically and they get pulled over by the cop and have to keep driving and explaining to people who can't hear them that they can't do anything about the horn.  It kills me every time.  In addition to lots of other kinds of humor in a terrific movie, that bus kills me.

I have to give an honorable mention to StepBrothers too.  When they "build" bunk-beds and it collapses I laugh out loud.  I'm giggling just remembering it. 

Check out the rest of the movie meme

5 comments:

Ryan McNeil said...

Heh - good call miss.

For me, it always comes down to two movies. FERRIS BEULLER'S DAY OFF (Usually prompted by the way Ruck delivers most of Cameron's lines), and the SOUTH PARK MOVIE (God is the biggest bitch of them all).

Granted, I'm an easy mark because I love to laugh - and in the case of Ferris, it's hard for me to name many movies I've watched more often! But for whatever reason, these two flicks more than any other get me giggling every single time.

Andrew K. said...

Good choice. I think Paul Dano and Toni Collette are just excellent here. Hell, I think the entire cast is.

"Where's Olive" just may be my favourite part...although that closing number is too good.

Rachel said...

So much laughter to be had in LMS. It kills me everytime. I'll have to tell you about the time I watched this with a Chinese woman. It was brilliant, but too long to write here.

Buttercup said...

"Trading Places" Just thinking about the scene on the train and I start to laugh. I also start laughing thinking about Men in Black I with the little pug dog. Two of my all time favorites and I've seen Trading Places about fifty times -- Comedy Central.

Chief Brody said...

Little Miss Sunshine is a terrific comedy - great choice. It rises above a lot of other comedies simply because it has heart and characters that are individual and have depth. It's one of those films you can return to over and over.