Saturday, April 28, 2007

Geeks need love too...

I've been watching Bones since the beginning, and I've really liked how they've developed the characters into their current incarnations. However, I just caught the pilot and a later episode again and was reminded that, unlike most shows these days, this has been a pretty terrific show since the beginning. Emily Deschanel plays a forensic anthropologist who can basically reveal the past and a good deal of the future from a set of bones (hence the name). Her FBI counterpart (i.e. sexual tension partner) is played by David Boreanaz of Angel fame. The murders they investigate run the gamut from crispy critters to floaters with a heck of a lot in between. But the best part about this show is the interaction between the various members of the scientific staff. Boreanaz spends most of his time asking them to translate their nerdy jokes, which, if you're a nerd too, is funny twice. They spend a lot of time explaining the niceties of social interaction to each other (e.g. if you want a jury to believe your science, you can't show up in flannel shirts with shaggy hair), which seems strange at first, but becomes their modus operandi, and where the best lines always come from. My favorite episodes to date are "Aliens in a Spaceship" and the first season finale, "The Woman in Limbo". Oh, and the geek love between two of the supporting characters becomes an awesome counterpoint to the main characters in the second season. Enjoy - you'll never think about what your scars and broken bones might say the same way again.

5 comments:

Cat said...

YOU ROCK!!! Bones is so awesome. I can't wait to see Season Two. And the geek love is adorable. Angela and the dude whose name I don't remember (who is [SPOILER] secretly rich) are so cute...

Jess said...

The dude is Jack Hodgins...seriously rich, though it won't save him in "Aliens in a Spaceship"....

Cat said...

Is that an episode name?

Jess said...

Yes - it's my favorite from season 2...

Cat said...

Thinking about Bones makes me happy. :-) (not as a category of noun, just in terms of the show) I wish I knew when the Season Two DVDs were going to be released! I keep being tempted to go for the iTunes pass, but wouldn't it be better to wait for the DVDs so I can Netflix it and watch it all at once?

It's funny, when I first started watching the show, the nerd banter got on my nerves because I felt like it was forced, and then either it grew on me massively, or the dialogue became bit more natural, and now, like you, I find that to be one of my favorite aspects of the show.