Friday, August 13, 2010

Movie Meme Day 13 - Favorite animated movie


I reviewed Wall*E when I first saw it in the theater.  Then a few weeks ago I even got to podcast with the Lambcast (episodes 29 and 30) about my love for this movie.  There are a lot of animated movies to choose from for favorite, though.  My childhood favorite was definitely The Little Mermaid.  I saw Aladdin 5 times in the theater when it came out.  And I still see all the big animated movies every year (sometimes in the theater, sometimes not).  I'm not sure what it is about Wall*E that always makes me happy and makes it easy to watch repeatedly, but whoever was responsible for the character of WALL*E plays a big part of it. 
His innocence and determination are amazingly human, and of course his devotion to a Barbra Streisand musical (Hello, Dolly) just gives him that kind of nerdy attraction ironic for a robot!  His interactions with EVE and his desire to follow "her" around and eventually hold her hand is a childlike and yet universally acknowledged.  Overall, the movie also has an environmental message that I happen to agree with - people as a whole are trying very hard to destroy the natural world, much of the time with advanced consumerism.  Individually, people are also trying really hard to stop doing exactly that, and WALL*E represents those ideals, that we can each do our part, but it's the whole that matters as much as the individual when it comes to protecting the environment. 

1 comment:

Fletch said...

Yay - I think I go with Wall*E, too, but I really ought to see it a 2nd time already.

Though I did just re-watch The Incredibles again last night, and damned if I don't love it more and more each time.