Thursday, July 28, 2011

New Release: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

We talked about this on the podcast last week with Rachel's mom, but I'm trying to remember to also post my reviews, so here goes.

First of all, this movie is really only for those who have either read the books or seen most of the movies, particularly the first part of the Deathly Hallows.  This movie jumps right in with just a short, short refresher of how we got Harry, Ron and Hermione to Shell Cottage and them burying Dobby and rescuing Mr. Olivander and Griphook.  This opening scene does a pretty good job of setting us back into the story, and then it's full speed ahead for the next 2 hours starting with the theft at Gringotts (I didn't think dragon would be an albino, but I guess it made sense) and moving on to the Battle of Hogwarts.  While the books definitely take more time getting you from place to place, the movie skims over the slowest parts and for the most part gets you right to the action without making it impossible for someone who hadn't read the books to follow along.

All of the main elements that had to be part of this movie lived up to my expectations, particularly Dumbledore's dream/heaven sequence and the way they made the whole Battle come through and feel well paced.  They used a very consistent Hogwarts from the other versions to stage the battle - blowing up the bridge was awesome (in part because I never liked that there was a bridge and mostly Neville's acting).  And the loss of various cast members was really emotionally well done.  I cried when I saw Harry walking through all the carnage and when Ron lost his brother.  I think it was helped by the very short scene between Fred and George when the battle is getting started that we lose one of them later.

And since people are whining about it, I'll add my dislike for how the epilogue worked - Harry's makeup wasn't good, Ginny had great "mom hair", but Ron and Hermione barely looked aged.  Overall, I think Rachel and Whitney (separately I believe) had the best idea - put the epilogue after the credits so it's not the last taste left in our mouths.  Still will give the movie a 5/5 lambs.  Great finish to the series.

1 comment:

watch movies online said...

I think what works best about this final film is how surprisingly moving parts of it are.