A fellow blogger put up a list of her 25 favorite performances during the recently completed TV season. As I don't watch some of the shows she loves, I thought I'd create my own. I'm sure I've left out some wonderful performances, and I'll think of them later, but here's my top 10 TV performances of the season.
1. Jim Parsons (Sheldon Cooper) "Big Bang Theory" - I watch this show and giggle at the nerdy humor every week. I love it. Parsons is the funniest guy on TV and has a great time making everyone else squirm. The fact that all his friends give in to him every week kills me, I wish I had that kind of power. Even when he can't speak he's awesome. Check out this clip if you don't believe me.
2. Simon Baker (Thomas Jane) "The Mentalist" - Definitely the best new show on TV this season (okay, one of the best), but it's all because of Baker's comedic timing and hypnotic abilities (I love when he gets to hypnotize someone). It would be just another crime procedural without him and the trust his team puts in his ability to read people. Such a good actor, and who knew vests would become so sexy again.
3. and 4. Joshua Jackson and John Nobel (Peter and Walter Bishop) "Fringe" - This might be the second best new show on TV, and one of the best ever. I love the sci-fi freaky things that happen on this show, but the best parts are the kooky things that Walter's broken brain likes to blurt out.
5. Josh Holloway (Sawyer) "Lost" - I thought "Lost" was pretty amazingly difficult to follow this year - with the time jumping and place jumping. But it was always worth watching Sawyer try to figure out where he fit into everything and how he was going to get back to Kate (even after he fell in love with Juliet). It was really his season. Playing "LaFleur" and becoming one of the leaders of the Dharma Initiative gave him more depth without having to resort to more and more flashbacks. I loved him this season.
6. David Krumholtz (Charlie Epps) "Numb3rs" - Like Sawyer, Charlie got to grow so much this season, and I thought David Krumholtz did a terrific job showing us all of Charlie's struggles between using his mathematical gifts for exploration or for helping the FBI and his brother. I've written of my love for Krumholtz before, but I thought he was given such great material and rose to the occasion this season, particularly in the 2-part season finale.
7. Adrianne Palicki (Tyra Collette) "Friday Night Lights" - I think this was Tyra's last season on FNL, if the rumors are to be believed, but she went out on a high note. Her drive and determination, while full of self-doubt, to go to college was inspiring and she did a great job struggling with the uncertainty she had. She was always an interesting character, and when Landry gave her crap for using him, she actually seemed to listen, while attempting to keep doing it.
8. and 9. David Boreanaz and Emily Deschanel (Seely Booth and Temperance "Bones" Brennan) "Bones" - They really had terrific chemistry throughout this season, better than previously. There were a few episodes where the story didn't help, but it was always great watching the two of them interact, whether arguing about religion or the proper way to comfort someone. I wasn't a huge fan of the season finale's twisted world, but I did love seeing them finally get a chance to actually show their affection. It'll be interesting to see where the "making a baby" storyline goes.
10. Melissa Rycroft (Herself) "The Bachelor" and "Dancing with the Stars" - Okay, she's not actually an actor and probably won't be on anything I watch again, but I think she did a great job with her 15 minutes of fame. She behaved like any other woman when she was dumped on TV, and better than most. Rather than crawling under a rock or trashing him in the tabloids, she did one better - she stole the headlines from him by being an instant success on "Dancing with the Stars". She never mentioned him again in any interviews I saw, and even took the teasing from the comic during the finale with a smile. She's a class act, and I hope she continues to do well.
2 stars 2.5 stars 3 stars 3.5 stars 4 stars 4.5 stars 5 lambs 5 stars action movie actors actresses Alphabet Meme Animated movies awards bad movies battlestar galactica best movies blockbusters blog cabins bloggers British TV characters chick flicks Christmas classics comedy Comments documentary dramas DVD emmys epic family films fashion Father's Day Favela Rising females final season foreign films Friday Night Lights friends Golden Globes good movies great cast guest post holidays Independent film james mcavoy kevin smith kids kids movies LAMB Lists marketing mistakes Monday musicals movie from book Movie meme movies music from movies musicals New Releases old movies Oscar Nominations Oscar winners period pieces podcasts predictions Random Reel Insight Robert Downey Jr. romance sci-fi songs sports straight to DVD summer candy The West Wing Top-Grossing Tuesdays TV meme TV Shows why i love