Wednesday, May 2, 2007

End of Gilmore Girls? Going out in a blaze of glory...

Since they've removed the Gilmore Girls creators, and it looks like Alexis Bledel isn't coming back next season, at least not for all of it, I'm guessing they're setting us up for the end of the series. At least they're trying to do it with a little class and a few new things. Last night's new episode proved that Lorelai (well, Lauren Graham) can in fact sing, even something as difficult as "I will always love you" (Dolly not Whitney), and that Luke can still be cute. And the other thing I actually really liked was the Rory was able to find failure. One of the worst things about the super-successful life that the Gilmore's come from is that you can go from birth to 50 without ever experiencing any real failure. And Rory's been exposed to real life through Lorelai, but always really thought she was destined for the perfect life her family comes from. By not succeeding, or more specifically 2 rejection letters for jobs she was no way qualified for, just a little bit at an early age, we get to see her figure out a little more about who she is, rather than what she can do. They didn't quite get to all of that, but we see a glimpse that her self-confidence has been shaken in a way even her 400 hours of community service didn't touch. This season has been pretty dismal so far, but is starting to achieve some of its former glory. Lorelai wishing everyone "joy and happ-i-ness" is priceless.

2 comments:

Cat said...

Rory's disappointments were hard for me to watch last season when she dropped out of Yale for a while, but I think that's because I could so sympathize with the overachiever who wants everything to go perfectly all the time! I found it obnoxious in Rory, and I suspect I find it obnoxious in myself. I haven't been watching GG at all this season because the lack of snappy dialogue bothers me, but I have to admit, I would love to hear Lauren Graham sing. I hope she finds good roles after GG because I find her very charming. Rumor has it that they will continue GG even without Alexis Bledel, which I have to say is just about the weirdest idea ever.

Cat said...

I was wrong! You are right! Gilmore Girls is officially ending on May 15 (which I think is much better for the show):

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070503/ap_en_tv/tv_gilmore_girls_canceled