There are all kinds of movies that defy a description. To say that Inception is Christopher Nolan's movie about a guy who can infiltrate people's dreams to extract secrets on behalf of industrial espionage is like saying the Statue of Liberty is a tall, green, woman who stands on an island in New York City's harbor. Both are true, but neither description captures the experience of seeing them. So, to avoid selling it short, I'll just describe what I learned from watching the movie.
1. Leonardo DiCaprio's acting skills continue to improve, particularly when his hair doesn't become an issue.
2. The experience of falling and then startling awake is more universal than I expected.
3. Ellen Page has risen above her previous role as a smart-alecky teen. She can also be a smart-alecky young adult. Also, she can show emotion and do a great job as DiCaprio's conscience.
5. Ken Wantanbe was terrific in The Last Samurai (best part of the film) and somehow forgot how to enunciate - I think it missed almost half of his dialogue.
6. Physics is what keeps us from walking up walls, and that you can't fall in zero gravity, but that an elevator might help. Seriously, the special effects were terrific, particularly JGL's fight scene, but I think they missed a terrific opportunity for seriously trippy effects.
7. Marion Cotillard has added bad-ass to her skills at morose and annoying.
I really, really liked the movie, I promise. Imaginative, gripping, mysterious, and thoroughly rewatchable, if only to understand all the things you missed before. 4.5 of 5 stars/lambs
2 stars 2.5 stars 3 stars 3.5 stars 4 stars 4.5 stars 5 lambs 5 stars action movie actors actresses Alphabet Meme Animated movies awards bad movies battlestar galactica best movies blockbusters blog cabins bloggers British TV characters chick flicks Christmas classics comedy Comments documentary dramas DVD emmys epic family films fashion Father's Day Favela Rising females final season foreign films Friday Night Lights friends Golden Globes good movies great cast guest post holidays Independent film james mcavoy kevin smith kids kids movies LAMB Lists marketing mistakes Monday musicals movie from book Movie meme movies music from movies musicals New Releases old movies Oscar Nominations Oscar winners period pieces podcasts predictions Random Reel Insight Robert Downey Jr. romance sci-fi songs sports straight to DVD summer candy The West Wing Top-Grossing Tuesdays TV meme TV Shows why i love