Saturday, April 10, 2010

Dessert Island DVDs

Over at Fandango Groovers Movie Blog they're having an event discussing the eight DVDs you'd want if you were stranded on a desert island (and had the ability to play DVDs). I didn't find out about it in time to participate, so I thought I'd just list my DESSERT island DVD list. I just watched Waitress again recently and it's left me with a super urge to make pie. So in no particular order, here are my favorite movies with food, particularly dessert.

1. Waitress
The story is pretty simple, a woman with an abusive, controlling husband has an epic talent for making pie. She works at a dinner and designs a new pie every day. To escape the drudgery of her life, we often get to see the machinations in her head and they always leave me hungry. Marshmellow Mermaid Pie makes me feel like a kid. Mmmmm...pie.

2. Groundhog Day
There's a scene after Bill Murray realizes he's not going to get to leave the town when he throws caution to to the wind and starts eating everything at the diner, and stuffs a whole piece of cake with pink icing in his mouth at once. In one of the "making of" features I recall for this movie, he actually ate the piece of cake EVERY time, for something like 20 takes. Andie McDowell watched him eat it and felt sick herself, but it always makes me want pink icing (and to wipe the icing off his face).

3. Gone with the Wind
After Scarlett finally marries Rhett Butler, he takes her to New Orleans for their honeymoon, and after years of near starvation, she lives it up, eating all she can. The line Rhett throws back at her always pisses me off, "if you don't stop eating so much, you'll get as big as Mammy, and I'll divorce you." It's said in jest, but for the food that passes by in that scene, I'd probably divorce Rhett.

4. Notting Hill
"Apricots soaked in honey, which actually stops them tasting of apricots and just tastes of honey, but nonetheless, they're yours if you want them". - Hugh Grant trying to offer food to Julia Roberts. He kind of makes me want to try apricots in honey, but it's his rambling about the food he has to offer always makes him more real and endearing.

5. Chocolat
What's not to like about the food in this movie? All kinds of chocolate, drinks, sweets, savory, etc. It's definitely a dessert island DVD. Just watching it makes you want to break any rules just to have some more chocolate.

6. Julie and Julia
There's a scene where she casually makes a chocolate creme pie, and it always looks like pudding, but that's okay, cause I like pudding. Most of the movie is about the savory dishes Julia Child was really well known for, but there are a few moments even on a dessert island that food would be good.

7. Fried Green Tomatoes
The Whistle Stop Cafe serves all kinds of food, and there's a great food fight scene where Mary Stuart Masterson and Mary Louise Parker (I couldn't keep them straight for years!) cover each other in flour, berries, chocolate frosting, and tomatoes, and even with the mess, I still want to eat there. I love Fried Green Tomatoes too, perhaps they should be allowed on my dessert island.

8. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
The ultimate dessert island movie, it practically IS a dessert island. When they first get into the room with the chocolate river (where they lose Augustus), I always want to be one of those little kids. And lickable wallpaper. The fact the the movie spawned its own candy line makes this top pick for movies on a dessert island.

What would be on your dessert island?

2 comments:

Buttercup said...

I'm with you on "Notting Hill" and "Groundhog Day." I'd add "Casablanca" and "Trading Places." I've watched the last one about a thousand times and still laugh at it. Not sure what else I'd put in, but lots of good food for thought.

Fletch said...

Ha! Great twist to the original format. Though I've no idea what mine would be.

How about The Goonies with that room full of (okay, really old) ice cream?