Sunday, May 29, 2011

Reel Insight Episode 48: Kate Hudson (seriously)

Well, Nick says I sound like a radio talk-show therapist in this episode - I guess I was a little laid back after celebrating a bit harder than usual at my 10th college reunion the night before (and the night after).  But Rachel and I get into the remarkably uninspiring career of a uniquely terrific actress.  Also up - an announcement for a change in TV talk for the summer!!!  Join us if you can.  Gnomeo & Juliet and Hobo with a Shotgun - never thought those would make the same sentence, but we made it happen.  Enjoy.  Also:

VOTE for REEL INSIGHT for a LAMMY AWARD!  Here.





New movies with Kate this week:
Skeleton Key - Kate plays a home health aide who decides to go work for a couple in Terrebonne parish Louisiana.  Gena Rowlands' husband isn't well and Peter Skarsgaard hires Kate to look after them.  It gets weird and then creepy, but stays pretty funny (unintentionally).  I think it was trying to be scary and brings out all the cliches (rain, darkness, creepy music) but if even I was scared, this isn't a scary movie.  However, there were enough "mystical" elements that I was reminded of odd episodes of X-files or Buffy though both are probably better than any part of this.  Still interesting move for Kate.  3 of 5 stars/lambs

4 comments:

Nick said...

Kate Hudson... putting the "terrible" back in "terrific." :P

Dylan said...

Yes - I just started this and I'm thinking, "What's wrong with Jess?" You sound tired or sick or...hungover? I want to get you a cup of soup or something. :D

Jess said...

Dylan - I'd been to my 10th reunion, and the shouting to be heard over the music all night really did a major job on my voice. Definitely a non-alcoholic hangover.

Courtney Small said...

In regards to Hobo with a Shotgun, I wonder what previous experience have most bloggers had with grindhouse films? I am surprised by the large backlash towards the film. While enjoyable, the Tarantino/Rodriguez film, Grindhouse, was a highly stylized interpretation of the genre. I think people’s views of what the grindhouse genre is have been skewed because of that film.

Grindhouse films were great because they often fell in that “it’s so bad it’s good” category thanks to the low budget production value (i.e. horrible dialogue, nonsensical plot, gratuitous nudity, excess violence, etc.). If you watch enough grindhouse films made in the 70’s, or even documentaries on the genre, you will realize that most of the modern day grindhouse-inspired films are not true grindhouse productions. I enjoyed Hobo with a Shotgun, it was not fantastic, but I thought it was far truer to the genre than Tarantino’s Death Proof or Rodriguez’s Planet Terror/ Machete. I guess I am in the minority on this one.

As for Kate Hudson, I am done with her. Done. After sitting through 90 % of her films, I reached my breaking point with Fool’s Gold and Bride Wars. For years I have been using Almost Famous as an example of her being a talented actress, but now I give the credit to Cameron Crowe’s direction and not Ms. Hudson's skill. While I liked How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, everything else she has been in is terrible. Done with her, I say!

Sorry for the long rant.