Saturday, November 8, 2008

DVD catch up

I just saw Baby Mama on DVD, so here is my review. Baby Mama is a really funny story about Kate (Tina Fey) trying to have a baby. She's 37, single, and a VP at an organic foods company in Philadelphia. She can't conceive herself, so after many tries, pursues surrogacy at a posh firm run by Sigourney Weaver (who keeps having her own babies in a strange/funny gag). Kate meets Angie (Amy Poehler) and Carl (Dax Shepherd, dreadful) who are volunteering to be her surrogate (for a lot of money). There are lots of jokes about first-time parents and the process of childbirth, which are always funny. What I didn't know about the film going in was that Steve Martin and Greg Kinnear also star in the film. Martin is the owner of the organic foods store and plays the aging hippie money-whore perfectly. He rewards people with good ideas with "5 minutes of uninterrupted eye contact". And Kinnear as the owner of a fruit juice place (like Jamba Juice) who flirts with Kate, is pretty terrific. He has a small role, but plays it perfectly. I often find him over the top or trying to do more than is interesting. Kate takes care of Angie as she gets farther and farther along. Secrets are revealed and the story wraps up well. Unlike a lot of movies with SNL cast members this movie isn't too long, too silly, or too much. It's a great little comedy. 4 of 5 LAMBS/stars.

5 comments:

Cat said...

Isn't it adorable? I really dug this movie.

Jess said...

I really liked it. It was even better and more elaborate than the commercials lead you to believe, which was nice for a change, not to see ALL the jokes in the commercials.

Reel Whore said...

It's not like Jamba Juice! :-p

I really enjoyed Baby Mama, though the second viewing wasn't quite as funny. Maybe it was my mood. I want to see them both star in more films, esp Amy Poehler!

Jess said...

RW - Thanks! I was hoping someone would catch the Jamba Juice thing.

Reel Whore said...

I go where I'm needed. :-)