Monday, April 2, 2012

My Top 10: #8 The Princess Bride



I'm kind of surprised that two movies with Billy Crystal ended up in my top 10, but I'm a child of the '80s, what can I do?  This is the first one, you'll have to wait to see the next one in a few days.  


Also, I'm not sure there's another movie on this list I've seen as many times as The Princess Bride (possibly my #1, but that's about it).  Is it even possible to give a description of this film?  It's a brilliant adaptation of a crazy book that actually took the craziness of the book a step further while eliminating some of the jokes that just don't play.  


With a brilliant cast, it's one of the funniest movies ever made, easily the most quotable, and strangely starring people who collectively have had fairly impressive careers, but none of whom have surpassed the greatness they achieved in this role (I'm ignoring Christopher Guest's directorial work).  And while some of them have done good work since, sadly they lived their epitaphs nearly 25 years ago.  


Who can say no to fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles... 

6 comments:

Ryan McNeil said...

Can you remember anything about the first time you watched it?

Jess said...

I can't. Though I totally remember seeing the trailers on TV. Funniest trailers a little kid could see. But I remember thinking it might be scary - Crystal and Kane looked like they might know the people from The Dark Crystal!

Kano said...

This is being played in my local theater for its Throwback Thursdays this week. I so want to go, but unfortunately will not be able to.

Kano said...

Also, is Wallace Shawn's top film The Princess Bride or possibly Toy Story? I guess Princess Bride because he is actually in it instead of just his voice.

JBT said...

I just love this film and I had the pleasure of seeing it again recently on TV. The entire cast is superb and it's so funny!

Hmm...might your other Billy Crystal pick be "When Harry Met Sally?" I love that film too.

Jess said...

Keith - I really wanna see this on the big screen again.

I was going to mention Wallace Shawn's big movie, but I don't know if voice work can really be the big point of someone's career.

JBT - You nailed it on the "other billy movie"!