Thursday, April 5, 2012

My Top 10: #5 Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

I like all of the Indiana Jones movies, but this one is my favorite.  I like movies/books that take a historical concept in and impose a fictional story over it.  And this one follows our dear Indiana (who I want to be when I grow up, if I can't be Rachel) and imposes 2 historical concepts with our favorite characters - the mythology of the Holy Grail and the historical facts of WWII.


The added bonus of Sean Connery as Henry Jones (senior?) just puts this one over the top.  Our hero Indiana (named after the dog) has returned to his home to go back to teaching archaeology after globe trotting to find the cross of Coronado.  In his mailbox is his father's diary that details all of his life's work search for the Holy Grail.  Unfortunately, we also find out that his father has been kidnapped.  So Indiana has to go and search for his father, and tries to find the Grail (X marks the spot) and fight off the Nazis ("No ticket").  I love this film in every way and will watch it every time it's on TV, plus I own it on VHS, DVD and will probably get the BluRay someday.

1 comment:

David Bishop said...

Have you ever read The Three Musketeers? That also takes history and puts its own stamp of fiction on it. One of my favorite books.

When I made my top 100 list way back when, I put Last Crusade and Raiders of the Lost Ark right next to each other, but I put Last Crusade higher on my list. I love it the most of the entire franchise, but I do dearly love the franchise. So I think we're in the same camp.