Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Return of TV: 2010

It's a strange time to call it the return of TV when there have been new shows beginning and ending in the time since we last saw a new episode of Grey's Anatomy or The Office.  The summer shows are picking up steam for a lot of people, some continuing into the fall so there's not a lot of time between new episodes of TV.  However, now there's an infusion of lots of great TV, so I thought I'd give you all my thoughts a few weeks into this season. 

For returning shows, nothing has done a terrific job of jumping back into it, but nearly all have delivered solid returns.  Bones, Grey's Anatomy, Chuck, How I Met Your Mother, Glee, Parenthood, The Good Wife, The Big Bang Theory, Castle, and Private Practice have all been just fine - good, even. 

There are a few shows that are in their new seasons and have bumped it up a notch.  Cougar Town started off last season as an odd concept that would lose it's appeal quickly.  I think in an attempt to ride the pop culture use of the term "cougar" this show was put on the air without anyone actually knowing much about it.  It's easily one of the funniest shows on TV and I laugh out loud nearly every episode.  The season opener with Jennifer Aniston playing Courtney Cox's insane therapist was terrific.  The entire supporting cast keeps the funny going - especially her son, Dan Byrd (recently in Easy A) and her neighbor's husband - Ian Gomez, with his man-crush on Cox's ex-husband.  See, even describing it, you're more than a little curious, aren't you?

There are a few shows that I've watched in the past that I think I'm giving up on, particularly Fringe.  They figured out the second dimension issue, but it's strayed too far from the original crazy stories of Fringe science and crazy episodes - they need more standalone episodes. 

Of the new series I've seen this year, none of the ones I was looking forward to made much of an impression.  Hawaii Five-O, Detroit 1-8-7, The Undercovers, Running Wilde (with Keri Russell and Will Arnett) were all fine, but I don't think I'll keep watching any of them. 

The new series I do like I had no idea were arriving - Raising Hope and Blue BloodsRH comes on right after Glee and stars Matha Plimpton and Garret Dillahunt (a TV regular), as the parents of newcomer Lucas Neff as Jimmy who inherits his infant daughter.  Made by the people who did My Name is Earl, it's part Earl and part "Arrested Development".  A kooky family, Cloris Leachman is the demented grandma, that we watch trying to keep themselves together and raise this baby.  They have some really funny moments and crazy family interactions.  Check it out.    Blue Bloods is a cop drama on Friday nights, starring Tom Selleck, Donnie Wahlberg, Bridget Moynahan, and Will Estes, as a NYC cop family (Moynahan is an attorney).  So far, it's got good writing, and an interesting story and terrific acting.  Hopefully it'll survive the Friday Night curse. 

4 comments:

Ryan McNeil said...

There is not a single new show that has grabbed me this season, so in a lot of ways it feels like I'm watching less TV this year (which probably isn't a bad thing).

Sorta hard to judge how everything's doing though when we're really only two episodes in for most shows.

Gonna watch "Walking Dead" when "Mad Men" finishes?

Jess said...

I just saw the commercials for "walking Dead". I will definitely check it out. I'm still mad at myself for ignoring "breaking Bad" when it started, so I'd better at least check it out.

Oh, and I forgot to mention my LOVE for CTV for playing The Tudors final season before it's available on DVD. Yay for Canadian TV.

Rachel said...

OMG! You're going to watch Walking Dead?! I must admit that surprises me Jess. Can't wait till it debuts in a few weeks and we can discuss it.

The only new show I've checked out this season is Raising Hope which I like too. I wasn't as impressed tonight, but that might be because I was too busy chasing my own kiddo around the living room, keeping her away from the breakables. Life imitating art?

Jess said...

Rach - as long as it's not the same idea as "I am legend", I like the creators very much, and the lead is Mark from Love, Actually!