Monday, October 18, 2010

Reel Insight 19 - Ryan Reynolds and guest

We had our second guest today and decided to let him choose the star of the week.  Nick from Random Ramblings of a Demented Doorknob (who my mom called "Demented Dooknob Nick" when I said he was going to record with us).  He chose the career of Ryan Reynolds, which has some ups and downs and hasn't really settled upon a single character.  But definitely go see The Nines





Just Friends - This romantic comedy hits most of the cliches about high school, a guy and a girl getting stuck as friends, and a fat suit.  It's so bad, it almost comes back around to be good, but mostly it's just bad.  Amy Smart plays Reynolds' love interest, and she just can't be convincing as the popular girl who has guy friends who are in love with her.  Chris Klein is a big part of why this movie stinks, he's the other friend who wanted more in high school and is now trying for the "revenge screw".  Skip this. 2 of 5 lambs/stars

Foolproof - I was surprised by how much I liked this heist flick.  Afterward I kept thinking it must have been a direct to DVD because Reynolds and David Sucher are they only major stars in it, but the story is terrific.  Recasting it, the main girl would have been stronger if Katee Sackoff had played her, and the loser friend could have been played by half of Hollywood.  The concept is fun - watching this group plan heists and then act them out, but not actual break the law.3.5 of 5 stars/lambs

Waiting... was horrible.  Too much SUPER gross-out humor.  'Nuff said. 1 star/lamb

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I LOVE the title to this post "Ryan Reynolds and Guest". It's like we're inviting him to a party and letting him bring someone along.

Jess said...

Thanks! That was along the lines of what I was thinking.

Nick said...

Well hey, if Mr. Reynolds invites me as his guest, I'd be honored.

And I still defend Waiting...!