Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Who knew ABC would win?

I watch a lot of TV. If you're a regular reader of my blog you can attest to my love for TV. I had an odd thought the other day wondering which network I watch the most. To explain why my odd thought occurred, I was explaining to someone that In Plain Sight was returning to USA (Wednesdays at 10) and thought, "Wow, I really like the shows on USA, I bet that's the channel I watch the most," but of course it isn't, so here are the tallies:

ABC: Castle, Lost, Cougar Town, Ugly Betty, Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, Desperate Housewives and Brothers & Sisters

AMC: Mad Men

CBS: How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory, CSI: Miami, NCIS: Los Angeles, The Good Wife, The Mentalist, Numb3rs

Fox: Human Target, Bones, Fringe, Glee

Fx: Damages, Justified (both are new additions to my own watching pattern)

Lifetime: Project Runway, Drop Dead Diva

NBC: Chuck, Parenthood, Friday Night Lights

TNT: Saving Grace, The Closer

USA: In Plain Sight, Royal Pains, Burn Notice, Psych (which might be over soon), White Collar,
used to watch Monk, but that just ended for good


So I guess ABC is the winner. I actually found that surprising, but some of them are my favorite shows. Also ABC has the best online viewing after the fact. Hulu is good for NBC and Fox, but CBS is abysmal. I think what I like about the shows on USA over the other channels is that since so few people I know also watch them, it kinda feels like they're shows just for me. I'm sure more people watch them (or they wouldn't be in multiple seasons) but they're not really part of the zeitgeist or appointment TV so I don't have to forgo something else to watch them. As always, I'm sure I forgot something good that will return in the not too distant future. As you can tell, I don't watch much reality TV, mostly just Project Runway. However, thanks to the Demented Encyclopedia podcast and the Blog Cabins Survivor updates, I keep track of what's going on. If you feel the need to know what's going on without actually watching the shows, check them out.

4 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jess said...

Sorry, you're totally right, and having watched it, I should have known! It's been fixed.

Rachel said...

I watch three shows on ABC too, which is the most for one network, but one of them (Flashfoward) I don't take seriously and will quit after this season, if it gets renewed. I wanted to start Castle when it premiered, because I adore Nathan Fillion, but never got around to it.

Fletch said...

Good god - yes you do watch a lot of TV! Where do you find the time?


Here's the shows we regularly DVR/watch live:

ABC: LOST, Flashforward, V (put me in the same boat as Rachel regarding quitting)

FX: Justified, Archer, The League

NBC: Community

CBS: Survivor

Fox: Family Guy

PBS: Nova

IFC: Arrested Development reruns (even though we have all 3 seasons on DVD :D )

HGTV: Holmes on Homes, The Antonio Treatment

HBO: Curb Your Enthusiasm

So I guess ABC wins for us as well...but not for long. That number will likely drop to 0 in three months.