Thursday, July 9, 2009

Michael Jackson will always surprise

I was watching one of the many tribute shows that have been put on TV airing some of Michael Jackson's videos. I've been a fan for many years, and so many of the videos are iconic, even beyond Thriller and it's rebirth through 13 Going on 30. I LOVE the video for Black or White when the people start singing and morphing from one to another. Then there was a video I'd never seen before for a controversial song, "They Don't Care About Us". I was going to post a link to it, but I'll just describe why I was moved by it. First, the video is shot in a favela (shantytown) in Rio de Janeiro with lots of local color and people playing drums. Also, Michael couldn't look better (second to his childhood looks, of course). The song was released in 1996 as part of HIStory and raised controversy with lyrics that can be perceived as anti-semitic, though Michael did change the lyrics for future releases and in the video you can't really discern where they fall due to clever sound mixing. I was just moved by how great this video was, and wanted to mention it, and that watching many of Michael Jackson's videos in a row is really a wonderful musical movie experience. They were shot with lots of theatricality and direction. Rest in Peace, Michael Jackson.

1 comment:

Candice Frederick said...

ditto! Great post. There are so many other great videos to add here, but you chose a good one.