Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Hancock is an original

There was a dilemma at the movieplex last night and my boyfriend won, so we saw Hancock. I'd been swayed by the mixed to bad reviews, and my own dislike for I Am Legend so I was pretty sure I wasn't going to bother with Hancock in the theater. I'm really glad I did. There is a lot more, for a change, to the movie than the previews even begin to reveal. The story becomes complicated, without becoming overly action based. I don't want to spoil the twists because not knowing what to expect actually made the movie that much better. Basically the previews reveal the first 20-30 minutes. Hancock is a rough, drinking, damaged super-powered a**hole. He resents having to take care of people and not knowing where he comes from. He damages more things than he saves when helping police and citizens. Then he saves Jason Bateman from a train. In the process of saving him, he derails the train. Bateman is in PR and decides he can help improve Hancock's image if he can make the people want him again instead of resenting him. Hancock spends some time in jail and of course crime increases and they want him back. There are quite a few laugh out loud moments. Lots of fairly standard superhero tricks, but since it's Will Smith, they're not quite as cliched as usual. It's also a love story of a sort with a little magic and history thrown in. I liked it and was surprised by its originality and the boyfriend really liked it. 4 of 5 stars from us.

PS - for Friday Night Light fans, you'll see two prominent characters in small roles.

Large Association of Movie Blogs

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent title to your post. That sums up what I liked the most about the film.

Glad you liked it as well.

Reel Whore said...

I was glad they didn't spoil the entire premise in the trailers like so many films do.

I liked Hancock ok, just wasn't thrilled by it. It was a bit too erratic to me, though kudos for trying to break the superhero mold.

Anonymous said...

What would you have seen if you won?

Jess said...

We would have seen "Wanted" if I won...but alas. I'll have to catch it on video.