Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Movies of 2008

So, based on the list of movies from 2008 at Variety, I have seen only 45 new movies this year, and even fewer actually in the theater! That seems low to me, but given the fact that I repeat watch movies, watch LOTS of TV, including TV on DVDs, maybe it's not completely surprising. That, and the fact that many of the likely Oscar nominees, a category I try to see many if not all of in the theater, have not arrived at my local cineplex, perhaps it's not a bad number. Here's my list. I'm going to wait to post my Best of 2008 until at least mid-January, or at least after I've seen Benjamin Button, Milk, Valkyrie, Seven Pounds, The Reader, Doubt, Revolutionary Road, and Slumdog Millionaire since those are on many of the Golden Globe/SAG and many Critic's awards lists. What did you see this year?

Movies of 2008 I’ve seen:

Australia
Baby Mama
Be Kind Rewind
Burn After Reading
Charlie Bartlett
The Counterfeiters
The Dark Knight
Definitely, Maybe
The Duchess
Fool's Gold
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Four Christmases
Hancock
Horton Hears a Who
In Bruges
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Iron Man
Kitt Kittredge: An American Girl
Kung Fu Panda
Leatherheads
Mad Money
Mamma Mia
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day
My Best Friend’s Girl
Nim’s Island
The Other Boleyn Girl
Over Her Dead Body
Penelope
The Secret Life of Bees
Sex and the City
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2
Smart People
The Spiderwick Chronicles
Step Brothers
Then She Found Me
Tropic Thunder
27 Dresses
21
Under the Same Moon
Vantage Point
W.
WALL-E
Wanted
Water
The Women

Addendum: As you can see from the reviews I've now see Benjamin Button and The Visitor, so the total became 47. Not bad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice! Forty five isn't too bad...one every week, plus old releases? I'm stealing your idea for my blog.

Thanks!

Jess said...

Thanks for the movie-ego boost. I was hoping people would pick it up and do it too. Enjoy.