Friday, January 11, 2008

Golden Globes predictions

While I support the writer's strike to gain their fair share, I'm sad that the Golden Globes won't be on TV. I like watching awards shows, they're often funny (thank you writers) and offer unique views of actors. So here are my predictions for the Golden Globes, both who I think will win, and who I'd pick if it were the IiE awards, starting with TV.

Best TV Series - Drama
Will win - "Mad Men"
Should win - either "Mad Men" or "The Tudors". Both are unique shows with exceptional characters and reveal a new side to what were thought to be well-explored stories.

Best TV Series - Comedy
Will win - "Extras"
Should win - "30 Rock"
I haven't actually seen "Extras", but the critics love it and the Hollywood Foreign Press would likely be one of them.

Mini-Series or MFTV movie
Will win - "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee"
Should win - "The Company"
I really liked "The Company", but "Wounded Knee" has won just about everything it's been nominated for.

Actor in TV Comedy
Will win - Ricky Gervais, "Extras"
Should win - Alec Baldwin, "30 Rock"

Actress in a TV Comedy
Will win - America Ferrera, "Ugly Betty"
Should win - any of them, Mary Louise Parker is unlikely, but was still terrific even in a bad recent season of "Weeds", Christina Applegate only had a few episodes of "Samantha Who?" to show off her skills, and Tina Fey and Anna Friel were good, but perhaps not stand-outs yet.

Actor in a TV Drama
Will win - Hugh Laurie, "House, M.D." or Michael C. Hall, "Dexter"
Should win - Jon Hamm, "Mad Men"

Actress in TV Drama
Will win - Glenn Close, "Damages"
Should win - Kyra Sedgwick, "The Closer"
I just liked "The Closer" better.

Actor in TV supporting role
Will win - Donald Sutherland, "Dirty, Sexy, Money"
Should win - Jeremy Piven, "Entourage

Actress in TV supporting role
Will win - Katherine Heigl, "Grey's Anatomy"
Should win - Rose Byrne, "Damages"
Rose was terrific figuring out the story behind "Damages" and how to play along, but Heigl has won everything so far this year.

On to movies:

Best Picture - Drama
Will win - "No Country for Old Men"
Should win - I haven't actually been able to see ANY of these seven movies yet.

Best Picture - Comedy
Will win - "Juno" or "Charlie Wilson's War"
Should win - "Juno"

Best Actor - Drama
Will win - Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will be Blood"
Should win - James McAvoy, "Atonement"
Day-Lewis has won most of the awards so far, but I think McAvoy would get a bigger boost from winning.

Best Actress - Drama
Will win - Julie Christie, "Away from Her"
Should win - Angelina Jolie, "A Mighty Heart", she worked really hard and was really convincing in a terrible story.

Best actor - Comedy
Will win - Tom Hanks, "Charlie Wilson's War"
Should win - Tom Hanks

Best Actress - Comedy
Will win - Marion Cotillard, "La Mome"
Should win - Ellen Page, "Juno"

Best Actor - Supporting Role
Will win - Javier Bardem, "No Country for Old Men"
Should win - John Travolta, "Hairspray"

Best Actress - Supporting Role
Will win - Amy Ryan, "Gone Baby Gone"
Should win - Julia Roberts, "Charlie Wilson's War"
Amy Ryan is getting lots of great reviews for her performance, but I really liked Roberts character and performance.

That's all I'm going to predict, comment on. Enjoy

3 comments:

Fletch said...

I'll skip the TV section, since I'm largely unqualified to give a response (the only shows I watch regularly are Lost, Heroes, Survivor and Curb Your Enthusiasm).

So, movies. I agree with your best pic choices, but I don't like your reasoning for McAvoy winning at all. The years should be judged seperate from each other, and if McAvoy is to win, it should be on merit.

I need to do a post like this myself...when are the Globes? This weekend? If so, I guess I won't...

Jess said...

Yeah, the Globes "press conference to annouce the winners" Ceremony will be Sunday night. I agree that each performance should be judged, but since I haven't seen any of the dramas thanks to the little movie theater nearby, I had to make comment based only on internal logic, and not actually based on the quality of their performances. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Fletch on this one, esp. having seen both movies, Daniel Day Lewis' performance is just amazing.

And though I think No Country will win best Drama, Eastern Promises was way better...